VMware Cloud Community
esxlinux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copy/duplicate/clone VM hardware resources

Hi All

I need help in this small scenario and i will make it easy so that i don’t confuse anyone with their answers.

I have active VM with specific hardware resources for example – RAM 4GB, 2 x NICs, CPU 1GHZ and hard disk is SAN based with 200GB. I need to copy/duplicate/clone whichever is correct terminology, the exact hardware resources for another 5 x new VMs. The OS doesn’t matter here as it could be Linux or Windows

Thanks for your helpSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're using vCenter server, you can simply right click on a VM and select Clone.  I would take it that you're dealing with a stand alon host and you won't have that option in the vSphere client.  So instead you can do this.

1) Shut down the VM

2) Right click on the datastore and select Browse.

3) Make a new folder for a new VM.

4) Copy the vmx and vmdk file from your "template" VM folder to your new VM folder.

5) Right click on the vmx file in the new VM folder and select add to Inventory.

6) Power on the VM and make any changes to the guest OS as required. 

When you power on the VM, you'll get a message asking if the VM has been copied or moved.  Select copied to avoid a MAC address issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're using vCenter server, you can simply right click on a VM and select Clone.  I would take it that you're dealing with a stand alon host and you won't have that option in the vSphere client.  So instead you can do this.

1) Shut down the VM

2) Right click on the datastore and select Browse.

3) Make a new folder for a new VM.

4) Copy the vmx and vmdk file from your "template" VM folder to your new VM folder.

5) Right click on the vmx file in the new VM folder and select add to Inventory.

6) Power on the VM and make any changes to the guest OS as required. 

When you power on the VM, you'll get a message asking if the VM has been copied or moved.  Select copied to avoid a MAC address issue.

0 Kudos
durakovicduro83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes if you have vcenter you can clone Vm or just copy from the datastore.

Cheers,

Denis

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so