VMware Cloud Community
Curcloin2
Contributor
Contributor

Would the latest 5.5 update include the 5.5 update1 patches?

I'm little new to vmware and want to make sure I'm patching correctly.  I just installed 5.5.0 and was wondering if I need to apply the 5.5.0 update1 before doing the patch that was just released in June?  I'm thinking the patches build of each other but wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are correct, with ESXi the patches build on each other and applying the latest patch is sufficient (see http://vibmatrix.v-front.de/ for updated vibs). Be careful with applying patches if you are using a vendor specific (HP, Dell, ...) installation image, to ensure you don't overwrite required drivers.

André

0 Kudos
Curcloin2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Is there a way to tell if I have a vendor specific installation?  I just got here and the person before is gone who set this up.  If its vendor specific how do you apply the patches than?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The image that was used to install (or update in case of a profile update) the host shows up on the host's summary page. However, this doesn't show additional vibs, which may have been installed later. What you may do is to check the installed vibs using esxcli software vib list to see whether there are vibs with a Vendor other than VMware. In case there are additional vibs installed, and to ensure you don't overwrite important vibs, I usually run e.g.

esxcli software vib update -d "/vmfs/volumes/datastore/patches/ESXi550-201406001.zip" --dry-run

(Note the "update" and "--dry-run" in the command line) to see what would be replaced by the update prior to applying it.

André

0 Kudos
Curcloin2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I have an IBM x3650 M3 7945AC1, Would I have to use the IBM customizable when upgrading to 5.5.0?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say. It depends on what's been updated by IBM compared to the installed image. If IBM added new drivers and tool, it might make sense to use the OEM image/profile. If it's only a patch which will be replaced (see the command I mentioned) and IBM doesn't provide an image with the latest patches (e.g. the OpenSSL/Heartbleed issue) you may install the patches from VMware. In any case you should check whether the the vendor (IBM in this case) has any support documents available to ensure you are not patchig the hosts to an unsupported state.

André

0 Kudos