VMware Cloud Community
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 Guest Has Issues After Install VMware Tools

Hi,

I have a Windows 2008 Server VM that has some unusual problems after I install VMware Tools. The VMware Core Services agent crashes about five minutes after boot, I can't uninstall VMware Tools as anything that uses the Windows management consoles hang. I can't get any error messages as I can't run Event Viewer. I've tried running "setup /c" from the VMware Tools ISO, but that just hangs the DOS box.

The VM used to be a Hyper-V machine that has been V2V'd. Everything was working before I installed VMware Tools. The VM has Trend Micro AV agents. It's now running on ESXi 4.1.

Anyone know of any issues, how to get to event viewer or uninstall VMware Tools?

TIA!

Julian.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What version of VMTools? I had a few issues with 4.0 but nothing major. Have you removed the agent/tools from Microsoft's virtual server?

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Have you removed the hyper-v agents? This must be done before to install VMware tools in order to avoid issues like this.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Have you removed the hyper-v agents? This must be done before to install VMware tools in order to avoid issues like this.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both.

I haven't removed the services bacuse when I tried to run 'setup /uninstall' from the Hyper-V Integration Services ISO image it errored as I wasn't running the VM in Hyper-V anymore. So I have disabled the services. Is there anyway to remove the services / agent when the VM is running in VMware?

Julian.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If they fail from Hyper-V, you may try from the control panel if they actually show up in there.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, forgot to mention - they are not listed in control panel, that is why I was running 'setup /uninstall'. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK. Try the command line.

*sc delete VMMAgent

0 Kudos
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

I have to wait for downtime on the original VM (which is still running in a Hyper-V environment) to try removing the agents / services before taking a copy and then running the conversion to VMware again. Thank you both for your help, it is appreciated! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
julian2
Contributor
Contributor

I had a downtime window from 20.00 last night until 02.00 this morning, so I tried to remove Integration Services from the Hyper-V VM whilst running in a Hyper-V environment. I used the Intagration Services ISO image (mounted from the actions menu in the Hyper-V console) and ran it from the /support/x86 folder (Intel host). The command I used was "setup /uninstall". I got a pop up saying that Intagration Services was already installed. Continuing, I then got a message that it was updating the HAL, then it got to "Installing Windows Driver Framework..." with a sweep progress bar that just kept going and going. I tried the uninstall several times, rebooting between attempts. I tried it with the Hyper-V services started and with them stopped. I also tried safe mode. The installer would never proceed beyond the framework point. From the dialogue boxes it looked like to was ignoring the uninstall switch and trying to reinstall. All pending OS patches have been applied to the guest OS (Windows 2008 SBS SP2) before trying this.

Any ideas why it won't let me uninstall? Is there any other way to get the VM to play nice on ESX without having to uninstall the services / agent?

TIA Smiley Happy

0 Kudos