VMware Cloud Community
nwlarryb
Contributor
Contributor

What happened to vmware vSphere free addition?

I have been using the free version of VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi ISO) image (Includes VMware Tools) and vCenter for a number of years.  These vps's are for Windows, linux and encrypted household storage.  I would like to upgrade to the newer version on the free page but nothing happens when I click on download.  I am registered and correctly signed in.  Has vmware stopped making this stripped version available?  Thanks, Larry Brandt

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, it’s still available but there have been issues on the web page with some browsers and ad blockers.

Try a “clean” browser window - something like a Chrome incognito window with no active ad blocker.

Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Iam pretty sure that there was never a "free" Version of vCenter. There was the 60days eval version for ages.

The rest is called the "vSphere Hypervisor" which is the free ESXi.

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
Laithan
Contributor
Contributor

No there are free (limited) versions but you need to register for them first.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

0 Kudos
Ketchup57
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having to inspect the element of the download button once I'm logged in and copy and paste the url link. This has been in every browser I've tried. (Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Brave)

0 Kudos
Laithan
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. What I ended up having to do was whitelist my.vmware.com in ublock origin as well as Pi-Hole and then I was able to download without all the fuss. I hope this helps others.

Tags (2)
alex0000
Contributor
Contributor

Similar problems with downloads here using Firefox 91.5 ESR with uBlock Origin.

Open uBlock Origin > Trusted Sites
add: customerconnect.vmware.com

Apply changes

Tags (3)
0 Kudos