VMware Cloud Community
Anthony360
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Hypervisor- no network adaptor during installation

Hello,

I am new to vmware and I am trying to install vmware hypervisor at home to get more familiar with vmware product because the company I work for does a lot work with them. I tried to install the software but I am getting no network adapter is installed. I used the esxi customizer and tried both the net-r8168+re111e and the net-r8169 but still the same error. my computer has:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0

CPU: AMD FX 8320

Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10

do i need to get a nic? and if so which one?

thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

If you cannot find a network driver, you can instead install ESXi as a virtual machine on top of VMware Workstation. Assuming that your host meets the requirements you can even install a complete lab environment. See e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab

André

0 Kudos
Anthony360
Contributor
Contributor

a.p. wrote:

Welcome to the Community,

If you cannot find a network driver, you can instead install ESXi as a virtual machine on top of VMware Workstation. Assuming that your host meets the requirements you can even install a complete lab environment. See e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab

André

Thank you

So instead of setting my computer up as a VMware host install VMware workstation 8?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, with VMware Workstation 8 or newer and sufficient resources this should work (see VMware Workstation 8.0 Release Notes for system requirements).

That's actually the way I am running my home lab.

André

0 Kudos
Anthony360
Contributor
Contributor

a.p. wrote:

Yes, with VMware Workstation 8 or newer and sufficient resources this should work (see VMware Workstation 8.0 Release Notes for system requirements).

That's actually the way I am running my home lab.

André

Is it free?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can download a 30-day VMware Workstation evaluation as well as a 60-day evaluation for vSphere for free.

André

0 Kudos