VMware Cloud Community
behlaucarlos
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Hypervisor 6 - VMware Tools is rolled back on Windows 2008 R2 (x64) that was migrated from VMware Player

Hello VMware Gurus,

over the weekend I installed VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.0.

I migrated a VMware instance, from VMware Player, via VMware Converter.

When I try to upgrade the VMware Tools, at the end - it is rolling back the actions.

The instance OS = Microsoft Windows 2008 Server x64 R2 (with latest patches).

I also tried to uninstall the VMware Tools successfully before and after uninstallation run the installation again (with reboot of course).

It is still rolling back the VMware Tools at the end.

I checked the system, application logs of the OS instance for the reason, why the installation wasn’t a success, but couldn’t not find a cause reported there.

Where is VMware Tools writing the logs, so I can search VMware KB and or this forum for solution?

In case someone already had the same issue and found a solution, many thanks for sharing …

Best regards

Carlos Behlau

24 Replies
ISAGmbH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks, this was the solution for my Problem.

I make one Lokal Group Everyone and give the logged On User to this Group.

So now i have installed the VMWARE Tools on my VSphere 6.0 Hypervisor.

best Regards,

Rudolf

0 Kudos
Vandervekens
Contributor
Contributor

Work around werkt.

Bedankt mabevmmabevm

0 Kudos
mabevm
Contributor
Contributor

Graag gedaan

0 Kudos
13hakta
Contributor
Contributor

same problem with custom HP ESXi 6.0 U1 and VM is a non-US Windows 2008 R2 x64.

But my VM is an Active Directory domain controller, and adding group Everyone with adding user gave nothing.

0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please, can you explain how you managed to add a user to "Everyone" user group on Windows XP ? As you said, the workaround worked for you aslso on that OS but as far as I know, "Everyone" is a special group in WXP without the ability to accept real users.

Believe or not, this wmware tools instalation critical issue is still not resolved in lates vmtools 10.0.x

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos