VMware Cloud Community
vmblogger
Contributor
Contributor

VMtools not installing

I have completed a V2V of a Vmware Workstation 7 VM using StandAlone Converter onto my newly created ESX4i Hypervisor host.   The problem I am having is that VMTools is NOT installing.    When I restart the VM, the only option I see is END VMtools Install.   Physical adapters are installed still.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What´s happen when you request to End VMware tools ?

CD rom are connected in this vm ?

Thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The "Install VMware tools" selection will mount the VMware tools CD in the guest and should start an automatic install. Given that you aren't seeing the install try opening the CD in your Windows guest and manually starting the install.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
vmblogger
Contributor
Contributor

when I  enabled the CD VMtools ran but afterward, it remained in Out of Data Status.  Also, got this message:

Vmware Remote Console unrecoverable error: (player)

Exception 0x00000005 (access violation) has occurred.  A core file is available........

I'm wondering if this may be related to VMware Workstation which is installed on the PC that vSphere client is also on.

0 Kudos
Jimbonx
Contributor
Contributor

check the vm version for the converted guest is it version 7?

uninstall the vmware tools first from the guest through control panel.

then reinstall the vmware tools using interact with the desktop, if not start automatically just move to your cd room and klik the setup to do manual install.

if the version guest not 7 do the v2v again and carefully on select the guest version.

can you give the operating system do you used for this guest, is it windows o/s? what version? 2000,2003,2008?

thanks

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Its worked for me:

1) You map the tools iso (in edit setting of the vm cdrom)

2)Once its reconize in guest, try to install it.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vmblogger,

whhat john said is correct at times the auto install of tools fails so u need to browse to datastore where esx 4 is installed and select the tools iso for ur os that is either windows or linux machine's vmware tools iso image then u can double clickon cd icon in vm and get the tools installed.

TM

0 Kudos
vmblogger
Contributor
Contributor

many thanks to all .  I've got it going

0 Kudos