VMware Cloud Community
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's not assigned by IP address's

Looking your valid suggestions on below query to be fixed.

recently we configured a cluster and applied host profile assigned after customization, while deploying new VM's we are getting IP Address, assigned to the VM, DHCP configured for these VM's (this is for VDI environment).

Host _nics and everything seems to be good, default gateway is able 

VPXA_0-1638689864816.png

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
17 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What troubleshooting have you done inside the guest OS, or at the virtual switch level to see why the guest OS is unable to receive a DHCP address?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply,

cross checked by assigning multiple VLAN's and default gateway also not pinging, the VLAN is having free IP address's too.

not getting road map in fixing this.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The shown IP address is a so called APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) address, that gets assigned by the OS if no DHCP server can be reached, or no DHCP offer is received.

Can you confirm that a DHCP server is either in the same VLAN, and/or DHCP helpers are configured on your router(s)?

André

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes Andre,

DHCP servers are reachable from hosts, but not the "Default Gateways" of the VLAN's.

Same DHCP servers are configured for other clusters in the same vCenter to server VM's.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I think you're mixing up something. It's not the host which needs to reach the DHCP server, it's the VMs.
Again, can you confirm that the DHCP server is reachable from the VMs' VLAN, either directly (in the same subnet), or through a configured DHCP helper address on the router?

Did you already try to reconfigure such a VM's network settings manually, to see whether the desired settings work as expected?

André

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From the VM, unable to reach the Default Gateway and DHCP servers.

VPXA_0-1639595214638.png

other clusters in the same vCenter with same DHCP server, working fine, but for this new cluster not working.

Anything can we investigate from DHCP server!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is it the same if you reconfigure the VM's IP settings to valid ones for that VLAN?

André

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, reconfigured the _nic for the VM, with new one, and changed VLAN with another VLAN no luck.

All the VM's deploying on this cluster (its new cluster) having the same issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I think we are talking about different approaches.

I'm talking about re reconfiguring the IP settings from within the guest OS, to see whether static settings work.

André

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes Andre,

Configured Static IP inside the Guest OS, still same issues, not able to ping the DHCP servers and not getting the ip associated with VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So if even a VM with a manula IP configuration isn't able to pint the default gateway (assuming it is pingable), then I'd go ahead and take a closer look at the network setup itself. Please verify that all physical switch ports to which the vSwitch on which you've configured the portgroup allows communication for that VLAN.

In doubt, please run (commands may vary depending on the switch manufacturer)

• show run int <interface-name> (for all associated ports)
  • show vlan <vlan-id> (for the VM's VLANs that don't work)
  • show int vlan <vlan-id> (for the VM's VLANs that don't work)

and post the results.

André

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Spoiler
It can be issue your DHCP IP range full , please check DHCP is able to release new IP or not
Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

It can be issue your DHCP IP range full , please check DHCP is able to release new IP or not

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Andre for the inputs, sure we will look for the information.

These hosts are physical Blades, can we verify the Switches inside blades too!

Because the physical switches also suppyling same VLAN's to other Clusters (don't have this issue) in vCenter.

Vmware support also suggesting us to verify the Physical Switches, they are saying all the Hosts configuration is seems good.

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not all the VLAN's full with IP's!   we are able to deploy VM's in other clusters with same VLAN's.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If other ESXi hosts in the same blade enclosure work with those VLANs in question, then it's most likely a configuration issue with the physical switch ports on the embedded blade switches.

André

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suspecting the same Andre and working on the same, as on investigation.

1. Nothing we can check from Esxi version, (VMware support looks all good).

2. vSwitches are configured correctly, cross verified with other clusters.

3. Physical Nic's are configured as per the standards (like other hosts in clusters).

4. DHCP serving IP's to VM's, deploying in other clusters (not in new cluster).

Finally the suspect is "embeded switches" in blades (newly configured)!! looking on the same.

will update you on the same, thank you so much 🙂 if you have any other suggestions please provide.

0 Kudos