VMware Cloud Community
dhertanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM crash

Hi,

We have a ESXi 6.0 Dell host and 3 VMs running on it. Last week one of the VMs went down a few times and eventually vSphere logged the following message: "Error message on VM: We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement. An application (/bin/vmx) running on ESXi host has crashed (3 time(s) so far). A core file might have been created at ...."

The core file exists indeed but I couldn't get from it something to point me in the right direction. I check the other log files and I couldn't find anything suspect either.

Since then we shutdown the host and run a number of hardware diagnostic tools (ePSA from Dell as well as some other tools) testing especially memory and the CPUs). None of them returned any error.

Anyone has any idea how can I figure out the reason for this crash?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jterli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I checked the vmx dump provided and found that it is a crash observed during the logging due to corrupt buffer.

The ESX build you are using right now is 60U2.

Fix for this issue is present on the 60P03 release.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can check the vmware.log and search for dump. Please share us the vmxdump and also the vmware.logs for the vm. we cannot completely rely on vmware.log all the times as it can be due to other issues(especially storage issues) can lead to vm crash. I will try to check from the logs if I can locate the source of the issue.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
dhertanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I attached the log files created during the day when the VM has crashed.

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
jterli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I checked the vmx dump provided and found that it is a crash observed during the logging due to corrupt buffer.

The ESX build you are using right now is 60U2.

Fix for this issue is present on the 60P03 release.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
dhertanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great finding, thank you very much.

Could you point me to the log lines indicating this issue? And there is any Vmware document describing the problem?

About the update, the server runs indeed 6.0U2 from a Dell custom image. I just check and Dell provides two new ISOs, 6.0 U3 Dell version A10 build 7967664 (this is the latest) and a 6.0 U3 Dell version A01 build 5224934. Should I assume the latest version would have the fix you are talking about? Thanks.

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
jterli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I got the data from vmx dump trace.

The kb article VMware Knowledge Base has documentation for a part of this issue.

"When performing multiple VM operations, the Log Facility might fail due to thread name corruption. The issue results in the logging to fail."

Both the builds "7967664" and "5224934" have the fix for your issue.

0 Kudos
dhertanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again.

Daniel

0 Kudos