vSphere Hypervisor

View Only
  • 1.  Storage VMotion not using Interface specified for vMotion

Posted Mar 04, 2021 02:07 PM

Hi Everyone , hope someone can assist ...

When doing Storage vMotion, the vMotion use the slower Management 1GB network even though the vMotion option on the interface is not selected, Only management is ticked...(vSwitch 0) vmnic0

The interface I want Storage vMotion to use is on a 10GB link and VMotion (Check Mark) is set on vmkkernel (IP assigned) on a virtual switch.(vSwitch2) vmnic 4/5

The copy is between 2 x Dell ME4024 SAN's , so those are 10GB connected. 

Why is it not using the assigned vMotion Switch and network card, thus the 10gb transfer speed ?

Is this enough info ?

Thanks

Beekman

• 2.  RE: Storage VMotion not using Interface specified for vMotion

Posted Mar 04, 2021 02:13 PM

Just stumbled across this ...this now give me new insights ....

If the management network (actually the first VMkernel NIC) and the vMotion network share the same subnet (same IP-range) vMotion sends traffic across the network attached to first VMkernel NIC. It does not matter if you create a vMotion network on a different standard switch or distributed switch or assign different NICs to it, vMotion will default to the first VMkernel NIC if same IP-range/subnet is detected.

Please be aware that this behavior is only applicable to traffic that is sent by the source host. The destination host receives incoming vMotion traffic on the vMotion network!