VMware Cloud Community
Isra0416
Contributor
Contributor

Snashots

Hello

I don't know how to explain this but, what is the best way to do a systematic naming scheme for snapshots. I just trying to be more organized i guess.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kwhornlcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It may depend on your use case.

In our environment most snapshots (patching and backups excluded) require some sort of ticket or service request - in order to standardize the naming, created a workflow/wizard in Orchestrator. Most snapshots now include the date (in YYYYMMDD format) along with the request number - in the naming convention. So naming looks something like: "20170227 - HEAT#123456". Makes things easier in reporting tools/scripts to know when (and most of the time why) the snapshot was taken.

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

It depend how you are taking snapshot, is it from backup software or Manually , If it is creating by backup then it will take name auto by manually put vm name and date

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi,

If you are planning to take manual snapshots , go with Date and what Action performing   Example #  winpatch_02/28/2017

For each backup software, it will use their default snapshot namess  like   below

Name                                     Description

----                                          -----------

Avamar-1488267965...      Created by Avamar workorder

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos