VMware Cloud Community
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SAS vs. SATA Question

Hey guys, I need some advice about storage. I have a Perc 5i and 4 Raptors (600GB each). Based on advice here I am going to use all 4 in a RAID 10 configuration. This will be for a production box. Would it make more sense to replace the Raptors with SAS drives (at a significant expense)? If so, does it even make sense to use the Perc 5i, considering the SAS drives would be 6Gb/s (thinking Hitachi Ultrastar 15k600 600GB model)?

I guess I am asking if I should just stick with the Raptors or get the Hitachi SAS drives. If so, is the Perc 5i a good match?

Thanks for the help!

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Given what you are saying here (esp. about the CI server), I'd definitly recommend the SAS drives.  While they may be overkill right now, they wont once those 2 unexpected VMs you *need* come along in a year.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's a bit more info. The server I am building will have 2 x 6128 Opterons (2.0 Ghz 8 Cores each), 32GB RAM, and run around 10 vm's. It will be used mainly for software development, running mostly LAMP applications. These are development apps, so not a lot of load on any of them. Just wondering if the Raptors would be fine, or if I really need to ditch the Perc 5i / Raptors and move towards SAS and Perc H800 or similar. I am trying to build a balanced server, so given the processors maybe SAS would be overkill?

All opinions appreciated!

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I dont think anyone can tell you unless we know your actual needs.  Say you havw a LAMP box for dev thats 'not hit that hard' isn't very definitive.  Your 4 raptors will get you about 150 IOPs sustained, where as the SAS drives would get you more like 350.  If you need 200 IOPs, for example, you need the SAS drives.

I generally say that the difference between a failed VMware project and a successful one is storage Smiley Happy.

robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Matt, thanks for the reply. Actually your response was pretty helpful. So by going to SAS storage I can pretty much more than double its throughput? Would that be a fair statement, everything else being equal? When I mentioned the LAMP not being hit too hard, I am talking about no more than 10 users concurrently running queries, which would include sample data. So it wouldn't be hundreds or thousands of users, hitting applications with millions of records. Literally, it would be pretty minimal usage. The server would probably have no more than 50 users max, with some of those users being clients entering bugs into our system, testing a new application, etc. The rest of the users would be developers committing code to our SVN repository. The only other thing that would be running would be our Continuous Integration process, which would be in its own VM. So in conclusion, I don't think any one VM will be too CPU or HD intensive, but we will run 10 VM's total that will mostly not be hit too hard. Our load is also spread out too, so maybe 10-15 concurrent users would be normal, with occasional spikes.

This is the reason we went with the dual 8 core Opterons.

Does this give you a better picture Matt?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi!

I  think the difference if you come to be what makes the discs, however  this all depends on how you have proportioned storage, unfortunately  many problems lies in the design of the solution. What I would recommend only a matter of having controlled your environment when it is working to enable IOPS Limit.

Regards

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Given what you are saying here (esp. about the CI server), I'd definitly recommend the SAS drives.  While they may be overkill right now, they wont once those 2 unexpected VMs you *need* come along in a year.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No matter what type of disks you are going to use, make sure the RAID Controller has BBU attached to allow for write-back operation! This makes a huge difference in write performance. (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/RAID/PERC5/en/UG/HTML/chapterb.htm)

André

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

+1 on Andre's comment!

0 Kudos
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. I have a Perc 5i RAID controller with BBU, but would that make sense with SAS 6Gb/s drives? I am thinking I need to go with something that supports the full capabilities of the SAS drives, which would be something like Perc H800's.

Any thoughts on a good RAID controller for 4 Hitachi Ultrastar SAS 6Gb/s drives?

0 Kudos
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you are correct Matt. I would probably kick myself if I didn't go SAS. And the CI could become very intensive, if we have 25 development projects running.

Time to get out the Visa.

BTW, any idea what a good supportable RAID controller would be for SAS? I have a hard time finding anything on the HCL that is listed at Newegg.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as the SAS drives are supported by the PERC, I see nothing wrong with it.  You'll be limited bythe drives before the PERC.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While not on NewEgg, you can pick up Dell PERC 5 or PERC 6 controllers on eBay for decent money, and they are very well supported (try to get one with battery backed cache if you can).

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-DELL-YW946-PERC-6-i-SAS-SATA-RAID-Controller-/170665648596?pt=COMP_EN...

0 Kudos
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Matt. You have been really helpful. Okay, since I have a Perc 5i w/BBU do you see any reason to upgrade to the Perc 6 you linked to? Will there be that much difference in performance? I would be running the SAS drives in RAID 10 configuration.

0 Kudos