VMware Cloud Community
gorx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Raid 5 to Raid 1 and migrating VM to new Storage

Hello together!

I using 1 Host now. It is HP DL 380p Gen8. It has 4 physical disk in RAID 5.

We have bought the SAN Storage and one more Host.

The secong server-host is without hdd's. And I need to put out 2 physical disk from

the first host to put them in the second host in RAID 1.

I need the most handy way to do it.

And I have some VM's that I want to backup and migrate after rebuilding in RAID 1.

I tried to make backup manually. I used WInSCP for connection to Host 1 and copy to backup location.

But it is very slow(I've copied 64GB in 10 hours), I don't know why, may be it is the feature of

SCP connection. I have one 1gbit connection speed and the speed of coping is 1.5 mbyte/sec only.

And I have one more idea to do it. To install trial vcenter server and make VM's migration between storages.

And After it I will have to install ESXi on two servers again.

If somebody have an idea, please let mw know.

thanks for your time.

Egor

Best regards, Egor
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Why don't you migrate the VMs to the storage systems before you install/reinstall the hosts? Another option would be to backup the VM's using an image based backup application. If you don't have one yet, you may want to take a look at e.g. VeeamZIP which will definitely work much better than WinSCP in this case.

André

gorx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, Andre.

Thank you for your answer.

I don't migrate VMs to storage because we didn't plan to buy Storage system.

That is because I need also migrate Raid(I need not 1.2 TB in Raid 5 for ESXi).

I will try Veeam Backup free. Thank you

Egor

Best regards, Egor
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Backup and restore should work fine. I actually mentioned the migration to the storage because in your initial post you wrote "We have bought the SAN Storage and one more Host."

André

0 Kudos
gorx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have downloaded Veeam Backup Free and connected my host to it. When I try to use Veeam Zip it says me that i have no licence to do the same operation)

it is true. Also I tried to use tab "file" and copy my VM to another place: in this way i have also very low transfer rate like in WinSCP.

Egor

Best regards, Egor
0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Veeamzip should be part of free download.

check this http://veeampdf.s3.amazonaws.com/datasheet/veeam_backup_and_replication-free_vs_full.pdf?AWSAccessKe...

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How are the ESXi hosts licensed? From your question I assumed you are using "paid" licenses!?

If you are using the free Hypervisor, you may need to use another backup application. Afaik, only Trilead's VM Explorer supports the ESXi free edition.

André

0 Kudos