VMware Cloud Community
tkambler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Questions regarding multi-core use - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU - Q6600

I have a virtual server running on my HyperVisor box. I would like to give it access to all four cores of my CPU. The CPU is:

Intel Core 2 Quad - #Q6600

I am runningUbuntu on this particular server... I did the following:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

I was expect to see 4 separate cores listed, but this is all I see:

=======

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 15

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

stepping : 11

cpu MHz : 2405.970

cache size : 4096 KB

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 10

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts pni ssse3 cx16 lahf_lm

bogomips : 4819.96

clflush size : 64

=======

Even though it only lists out one entry, is this set up properly? If not, what should I do? Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you already enabled multiple vCPUs in the guest settings? What version of Ubuntu? GUI or command line?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install an SMP kernel on the Ubuntu guest. There is very little benefit to adding multiple vCPUs to a guest. Especially adding all the available cores since the ESXi host also needs resources as will any other Virtual machines.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums- In addition to insuring you have a SMP kernel in the O/S you will need to make sure that Virtual Machine is configured with multipl vCPUs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
tkambler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am currently looking into SMP. Would you be so kind as to give me a few details, so I can be sure I am doing the correct thing to ensure multi-core support is enabled? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you already enabled multiple vCPUs in the guest settings? What version of Ubuntu? GUI or command line?

0 Kudos
tkambler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were both very helpful. As it turned out, I simply needed to update the default setting of 1 virtual CPU to 4. I could have sworn I looked for this earlier, but was unable to find it.

I am running Ubuntu Server 8.0.4.3 LTS. As it turns out, it has SMP enabled already (default).

I am noticing a HUGE difference in performance. Thanks again.

0 Kudos