VMware Cloud Community
springfield
Contributor
Contributor

Physical RDM broken after 7U3 update

Hello all,

I used to have four SATA drives as physical RDM. Now after 7.0.3 Upgrade the VM does not start anymore. The error is: File system specific implementation of Ioctl[file] failed. Failed to start the virtual machine. Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/xxx/yyy.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

It's a Supermicro x11spm-tf with a Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller. Any ideas? Recrated the VMDKs already, locked VM RAM. No success.

Tags (3)
5 Replies
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I was trying all possible links I could find without success for the pass-through HDD I had attached to my VM and nothing worked. Trying to attach it also as RDM but again nothing.

The only thing that resolved the problem, was to go to the smart array controller device list, detach the HDD, re-attach it back (without physically remove the HDD) and then it worked. My pass-through disk no longer is blocking my VM to boot and got back access to the data.

jatokan
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue with a LSI 9300-8i, my vm was not able to boot saying  File system specific implementation of Ioctlfile failed Failed to start the virtual machine.

Doing the Detach and attaching it again did the trick, thanks man!

GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I exactly got the same issue since this morning after migration from 7.0.1 build 17325551  to 7.0.3 build 18825058.

Any VM with RDM shared disks failed to migrate to another host. I opened an incident at our VMWare support but they seems to not be aware yet.

0 Kudos
KLL1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
Today I'v got the same issue after upgrade to 7.0.3 (18905247)
I have created a support request, but I don't have a solution yet.

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got a "solution" and an answer from VMware support.

They advised to not install the last ESXi version but the second to last.

In my case i roll back to 7.0.1 (cause i had a config backup) then upgrade to 7.0.2 and i don't have any issues.

According VMWare, they're working on a new patch to fix the current issue but there's no release date at the moment.

0 Kudos