VMware Cloud Community
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Physical Drive corruption

I got a new Raid Array, and stupid me took one of my Vsphere 2TB drives to make sure the Raid array supported 2TB. I just plugged the drive in and looked on the management to see if it showed up. it did so I figured my Raid Array supports 2TB. So I plugged my drive back in the Vsphere. And now it hangs on the boot up at "multiextent loaded successfully". So I unplugged the drive, and Vsphere boots up fine. I tried the vmfs-tools and it errors out saying Unable to read volume information.

Is there a way to repair the drive?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Didn't understood so well your problem - seems you had a less than 2TB volume that you grewed up to 2TB, that's it?

One tip: vSphere does not support 2TB volumes, only 2TB-512 bytes.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would call VMware support. I would stop any further efforts to start the ESXi host.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

I presume it modified the hex code that identifies the disk as VMFS.  You could attempt to repair it with fdisk, but I would do as suggested and lodge a support ticket if you have support.

0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is the physical drive that has been corrupted.

Sadly I don't have support  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Modifying the hex code sounds interesting. How do you do that?

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Here is a guide for recreating the partition table.  Consider how important your data is before proceding.

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/vmware-vi3-virtualization-vmware/vmware-esx-...

The guide is for ESX 3, but works fine for ESXi 4.

It could be a good idea to boot up with a ESXi usb drive.

0 Kudos
Catsrules
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The drive doesn't show up at all. I can't boot ESXi unless the drive is unplugged, or it will just sit there forever. So I boot it up then plug the drive in.(using SATA)  But I can't find the drive at all in vSphere or in a SSH terminal

I tried to run the esxcfg-vmhbadevs but I don't seam to have the command. So I tried esxcfg-scsidevs -c this gives me a list of all of my drives. except the one I want.

Can I run the fdisk on another OS like ubuntu, or does it have to be a ESXi OS? Because other OS can at least see the drive is plugged in.

I put another drive in my RAID array to see if I can produce the same results (I don't care about the stuff on this drive), and then plugged it back in, like I did before and it does the same thing, ESXi hangs on boot, and doesn't see it if I plug in the drive after boot. Until I delete the partitions, with another OS.

0 Kudos