VMware Cloud Community
malletta
Contributor
Contributor

Paravirtual disks showing as removable device

Hi,

I have a ESXi 6.7 server hosting several 2016 servers. I have the OS drive on the sata controller but all other data share volumes on paravirtual controllers. In windows under device manager they show up in the "Disk drives" section as vmware virtual disk but the disk on the paravirtual drives also show up as "Portable devices". One of which shows a yellow exclamation warning saying the device has extra configuration required. They seem to work OK but is definitely wrong.

Anyone seen this?

I found this from another thread on here   VMware Knowledge Base  as a possible workaround.

We have 2 other environments with 2012r2 servers with the same setup not showing the same issues.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ITGuy_At_ThePla
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having 2 similar issues as this person. 

1. Posting in VMware forums and getting no responses 

2. I have SCSI devices behind a LSI Logic SAS controller that is going the same thing. I'm still picking through it but seems all of my servers have the same issue. 2012 R2, 2016 and 2019.

A driver issue prevent my SQL server from rebooting correctly and it seems to be connected to Windows thinking the drive is portable and treating it differently (?)

0 Kudos