VMware Cloud Community
rguhr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Outage due to self-launched reboots by HPE SPP? / Multiple reboots after HPE SPP

Hey,

a few days ago we had an outage because our VMware hypervisors rebooted themselves after an HPE SPP was applied and the host was booted back into the OS.

The hypervisor was taken out of maintenance mode and the next host was started. However, on two HPE ProLiant DL365 Gen10 systems, the hypervisor rebooted again (by itself) after a few minutes (unfortunately there were already a few VMs on the system at this point)

Has anyone observed this behavior before?
or is it even a desired behavior?

The HPE documentation points out that some components are only updated to the latest version after several SPP applications.
Is there perhaps a new mechanism that recognizes this and automatically restarts the SPP/update process on the hypervisor? 🤔

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've seen such a behavior a few times lately, after updating from the HPE SPP ISO image.
Since this happened  on servers with different operation systems, I guess that it is some issue with SPP setup. After the installation finishes, and the final reboot happens, iLO still shows a message that the server needs a reboot, which I assume will happen automatically after a few minutes.

André

rguhr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer.
It is particularly interesting that not only VMware ESXi as OS is affected and that this could be a general "feature" of the update process via SPP ISO/iLO.

0 Kudos
rguhr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RuneH has posted some interesting details about this problem in the HPE community:
https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/outage-due-to-self-launched-reboots-by-spp-mu...

0 Kudos
DanRobinsonHP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've heard of this happening before when the Smart Array Firmware is so out of date that you end up with 2 updates for Smart Array in the iLO Installation Queue due to the most recent having a pre-requisite that is newer than what you are currently running.

Assuming you are using OneView and the OV4VC Plugin along with vLCM?
Once OV starts to push FW to the iLO, you can connect to the iLO and look at the Firmware section.
iLO Repository = First step, FW packages are uploaded here.
Install Sets = Second step, a FW Recipe is uploaded here with order and other instructions
Installation Queue = Third Step, the Install Set is kicked off and you can see the status of the Recipe here.

0 Kudos