VMware Cloud Community
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Out of resources with 7x PCIE

Hello.

Installed fresh ESXi 5.5 with latest patch. Upon connecting 7th PCIE (7x GPUs) ESXi wont boot. Tried everything in the BIOS and every time I get "Fatal error 10, s.v00 Out of resources". With 6x PCIE populated, it works flawlessly. I can passthrough the GPUs and do whatever I want with them.

Tried to search the log file and cant find the proper one with that error in it. Maybe I'm not searching right. Any idea? Please help!

Thank you in advance!

EDIT:

The story before was with iGPU disabled.. While:

Same thing with iGPU enabled + 5 PCIE -> Works; iGPU enabled + 6 PCIE -> out of resources.

It must be something with 7 GPUs that ESXi does not accept. Does not matter if iGPU+6PCIE or only 7PCIE

0 Kudos
11 Replies
virtualnobody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

you can try disabling anything you don't need in BIOS such as Firewire, Sound, USB.

Regards

virtualnobody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you booting from USB drive?

It can be an issue with that USB drive, try another manufacturer. 4GB USB should be enough.

Regards

devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I'm booting of a HDD (WD Black 1TB - latest revision 3). I can try and disable USB controller (I have disabled EVERYTHING except that..) and also install onto a USB drive and disable SATA controller. Will do that tonight when I will go to work and keep you posted from there.

Thanks so far!

EDIT: Will also bring from home more PCIE cards and try with them also. And also more USB drives 8GB, 16GB and 32GB.

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

At work now. Tried literally everything and hopefully every combination of 'everything' with SATA/AHCI controller enabled and ESXi5.5 on HDD. Does not work. And by the way I had it installed on UEFI mode if it makes any difference. And also the error is not "s.v00" but "sb.v00" if it makes any difference. Can post a screenshot if needed (sb.v00, fatal error 10, out of resources).

At the moment I'm installing on USB drive legacy non uefi mode and will post back the results.

Thanks so far!

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

We're making a little progress. With ESXi installed on a USB drive I get the same error but without "b", that means "s.v00" and the loading bar stops at somewhere around 90%. Before on a HDD it stopped at around 40% and at "sb.v00", everything else is the same...

Any idea?

Thanks so far!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Its a bit of a gamble but you could try the Tech Preview of the next vSphere version also:

VMware vSphere Beta Landing Page

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that. Will try also. But we need a stable hypervisor with no exception 😕

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried ESXi 6 and because of unsupported LAN adapter (Realtek 8111G) I had to inject these two files with ESXi-Customizer from ESXi 5.1:

VMware_bootbank_net-r8169_6.011.00-2vmw.510.0.0.799733.vib

VMware_bootbank_net-r8168_8.013.00-3vmw.510.0.0.799733.vib

But at the yellow screen where it is loading drivers and services I get a PSOD something about this driver and IOMMU. I disabled Intel VT-d in BIOS and PSOD went away but when it is "Installing %" I get a "window" with something about an error inside these drivers where I can only press enter to reboot. I believe those drivers are not compatible with ESXi 6.

Any more clue about ESXi 6 and 5.5 and also 5.1 (also tried 5.1 by the way with same situation then with 5.5).

Thanks so far!

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? Any clue? Please help... I'm at work at the moment.

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone atleast know where and how to check log file of a failed boot so we can debug it faster? Already checked /var/log/* and there is no sign of that error.

0 Kudos
devianceluka
Contributor
Contributor

Just got ESXi6 to work and it's the exact same thing. Out of resources error bug. Please help.

0 Kudos