VMware Cloud Community
rss181919
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbie - Server and Desktop (same machine)

I have a AMD 6 core processor/ 32 GB Memory/2 (1TB) Drives.  Using as a home server/training box/gaming machine.   I have vSphere up and running with some WXP guests.  However, I want to take advantage of the graphics card that came with the machine for gaming so I want to be able to run an OS alongside vSphere or as a guest that is accessible from the physical server console.  Is this possible?

What a really want to do is have a machine that someone can sit down at the console and play games on while other users are remoted in using virtual guests.  So simultaneous user access is a necessity.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

its not possible with vSphere ESXi. Its an enterprise Hypervisor which doesn't have UI (console) which support third party user software's like games.

For this you can go for VMware Workstation which is installed on a Linux or Windows Host OS.

1. Install Linux/Windows on server.

2. Install VMware work station.

3. Create VMs.

4. Install Game.

In this case you can play game on this server at console . At the same time others can access their VMs.

More details on workstation available here. http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

its not possible with vSphere ESXi. Its an enterprise Hypervisor which doesn't have UI (console) which support third party user software's like games.

For this you can go for VMware Workstation which is installed on a Linux or Windows Host OS.

1. Install Linux/Windows on server.

2. Install VMware work station.

3. Create VMs.

4. Install Game.

In this case you can play game on this server at console . At the same time others can access their VMs.

More details on workstation available here. http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/

0 Kudos