VMware Cloud Community
stefan85
Contributor
Contributor

[Newbie] How to setup private network with routing vm?

Hi there,

I'm just doing my first steps with vmware. Until now we've had just a plain debian with virtualbox running on it. As we change provider we're thinking of using VSphere Hypervisor for our first server but I am new to virtualisation. I know vSphere isn't able of doing NAT. To save IP's we plan to use a router vm.

Now the questions: We have a ip of let's say: 142.0.22.172 Subnet 255.255.255.128 and Gateway 142.0.22.129. This IP should be the management IP so we purchased a second IP: 5.192.122.150 (Provider hasn't provided any subnetmask so I think it's 255.255.255.255). My question now: how could I use this IP to make the router VM able to use it? Normally I'd add this second IP to my eth0 and bridge the vm to it. But how to do this in vsphere? In network configuration I haven't the possibility to add a second IP to that NIC0.

Any help is much apreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - you did not need to buy a Public IP address for your management connectivity - you could have configured a virtual router like Vyatta to route traffic to an IP address on a non routed subnet - reviw this link for more information - http://www.forbidden-access.org/vyatta-firewall-how-to-configure/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

check the below mentioned URL which will help you to setup the private VM network with routing.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200142...

0 Kudos
stefan85
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for answers.

Unfortunately I'm really noobish on the virtualization and specifically on the networking topic. So you mean I just need to setup my esxi with my public ip adress which have a gateway? But how to add the vm and use the /32 IP adress? I couldn't add the second ip to my vswitch (unknown error). How do I setup the esxi so that the routing vm which should use the /32 IP (not on the same subnet as my public IP) can communicate to the outside?

0 Kudos