VMware Cloud Community
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New harddrive added to host not detected

Hi all,

I have added another harddrive into my host which doesnt seem to be detected, how do I get the harddrive to show up? 

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You have to start at Level 1.

If you have a PERC or SmartArray or what ever HBA you own you need to create a "Virtual Disk" with a Raid first. Even if you only have a single disk you need to create a RAID0 in such setups.

Otherwise tell us more about your HW setup.

Level 2:

Perform a HBA rescan on ESXi and than create a VMFS Datastore on the new detected device.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @IRIX201110141 

Its a dell one, if I already configured raid 0 on a disk which is already in the dell host can I simply do the same with the harddrive that isnt being detected? This wont effect the current harddrive I already have in my host will it? 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Iam a Dell Partner... please tell me the name of your HBA.  Ifs its H7x0 thats its a no brainer and you just click "New Virtual Disk" within the iDRAC or LCC(system setup -> device -> YourPerc.

If its a H330 than please carefull.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @IRIX201110141 

Its a dell R740XD 

Okay I will try this! so need to configure raid  on new disk

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I ask for the controller HBA like H740p and not for the server model. You can get your poweredge with very different type of HBAs.

But if you have the standard HBA which is a full blown one with Cache and Battery like the H740 indeed you need to create a new "Virtual Disk" and select "RAID0" and choose the physical disk. If you have an iDRAC Enterprise you can do it there.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Did you get it working?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @IRIX201110141 

Its a H750 controller, I cant try this untill im on site as this has to be done on the host itself no way to remotely do this? 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You can do it remotely if you have and iDRAC.  If you have "iDRAC Tools" aka "racadm" installed under ESXi you can do it from the command line as well. But configuring a RAID from the shell isnt an easy task and you should use the iDRAC WebGUI. It will take less than 3 minutes for sure.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos