VMware Cloud Community
brian_rapidresp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New VMDK, can we shrink?

Hi all,

A colleague create a new VMDK but it too large, is there an easy method to shrinking this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not. Way to "shrink" virtual disks are either using VMware Converter, or manually migrating/copying the data to a new (smaller) virtual disk.

In case the virtual disk has been thin provisioned, it is possible - depending on the guest OS - to reduce the partition size. This way no data is written to the unallocated guest disk space, and the .vmdk file can only grow up to the partitioned size.

André

0 Kudos
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The use of VMware Converter will generate new GUIDs for all Windows server drives. So I'd check beforehand if there's any application which depends on the drive GUIDs (backup application maybe?).

Pavit

SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

You can shrink a virtual machine's hard disk using VMware Converter Standalone.

You can perform a virtual to virtual conversion and during conversion wizard you can specify a new size for the virtual disk.

virtuallyPeculiar: Using vCenter Converter Standalone for Virtual to Virtual Conversion

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it is really necessary existing vmdks can be cut with a dd command - I only recommend this for experienced users !!!

0 Kudos