VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nested Virtualization

I use nested virtualization for pure tersting and self trainins puposes.
I attempted to install ESXi free version as a guest VM in VMware Player on a Windows 10 PC.
Up to versiuon 6.7 I was able to install ESXi and perform limited activities.
With ESXi 7.x I get an error during installation saying that no network adapters were detected.
How can I solve this issue and go on using my nested VMware ESXi?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Excuse me, but there is no need to complicate your life with custom ISO and company singer.

With the most recent versions of the "VMware Wokstation PRO" product and therefore reasonably the "Player" version as well, at the time of creation of the virtual machine just choose ESXi 7.0 hardware compatibility level and that's usually enough, or check that the your virtual machine at least uses the "VMXNET3" model as a network interface.

It should also be said that in ESXi 8 the legacy bios had been deprecated, so in your virtual machine if you want to do things right use UEFI.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

It means that the network card drivers are not compatible with version 7.0. You can create an ISO custome by entering the drivers of your network card. There are some guides on the net on how to proceed.

I once solved it by buying a USB ethernet adapter ... that one was recognized.

regards,

AR

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey @marius1 ,

As @Alex_Romeo mentioned, you must build a custom ISO that includes your network card drivers.  Furthermore here you have a walkthrough of how to build a home lab:

https://angrysysops.com/home-lab/ 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Excuse me, but there is no need to complicate your life with custom ISO and company singer.

With the most recent versions of the "VMware Wokstation PRO" product and therefore reasonably the "Player" version as well, at the time of creation of the virtual machine just choose ESXi 7.0 hardware compatibility level and that's usually enough, or check that the your virtual machine at least uses the "VMXNET3" model as a network interface.

It should also be said that in ESXi 8 the legacy bios had been deprecated, so in your virtual machine if you want to do things right use UEFI.

Regards,
Ferdinando