VMware Cloud Community
rmgbasker
Contributor
Contributor

Need a Clarity on vMotion

Hi Dude's,

In my environment the production network are using 10.20.x network for all virtual machines communication. But vMotion the we are using 192.168.x network but we have configured production network default gateway for vmotion communication.

Please clarify why they advised to using this internal network (192.168.x) instead of any production network ip for vMotion. I don't see any vMotion issues on this internal network ip configuration.

Please let me know how this vMotion work instead we have configued internal IP. I feel whenever the vMotion is occur it's always hit router correct if i am wrong.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

vMotion is often configured on a different VLAN/subnet for security reasons, as well as to isolate traffic.

If all ESX hosts are on the same network (more accurately, if they have vMotion interfaces on the same network), theres no router involved.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
saldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Matt's right. You shouldn't be hitting the router. This is similiar to my configuration. I run my vMotion through a separate private network 192.168.10.0/24. I run vMotion and my iSCSI connectivity through dedicated network switches that are not connected to the private network, and thus this traffic is never routed.

-Tom

- Tom
0 Kudos