VMware Cloud Community
mlandau248
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NOOB Question on P2V

Thanks in advance for any input-

NOOB here having downloaded and registered a VMware vSphere Hypervisor on a single server (quad core Xeon 22Gb ram 4 NIC's and 1Tb Raid 5 disk). First attempt, use the stand alone converter on my PC. Worked perfectly. Next, server #1 Windows 2003 SP2 on single IDE drive. Ran "Convert Machine"  same as XP. BSOD on boot. No safe mode. Attempted edit od Boot.ini but file was accurate. Reran conver 2 more times same result. Next, Server #2. Again Win 2003 SP2. Ran "Convert Machine". Found web info and ran "Configure machine" after installaing correct sysprep files including install VMware tools. Exact same results except now I get a VM splash screen before BSOD then auto reboot. Able to access safe mode. BSOD before anything else. What the hell am I missing???

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In the Converter Wizard (step 3) select "Devices" and set the "Disk Controller" from "Preserve Source" to "LSI Logic".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have a look at this: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006296

mlandau248
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for that information. It was helpfully. Unfortunately it opened up more questions then solved. Same results after trying numerous steps. Seems like nothing relates directly to 2003 physical server with IDE drive. My plug-ins page is empty for some reason so info on LSI status is not available. I'm back to the books I guess. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In the Converter Wizard (step 3) select "Devices" and set the "Disk Controller" from "Preserve Source" to "LSI Logic".

André

0 Kudos
mlandau248
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André - YOU ROCK! Thank you! That one step made the difference! Considering how many P2V's my future may hold where its a 2003 server on an IDE disk you just saved the day! If your ever in Detroit, let me know. I owe you a drink!

0 Kudos