VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NIOC Shares

Hi

If I set 100 shares for VM traffic , 100 shares for Management and 50 for vMotion. Assuiming there will be a contention and vMtion will not revice the right amount of bandwedith what will happen in this case DRS will not function well and VMS will fights for resourcs. If my assumbation is right  why in most the exampels give low shares to vMotion traffic ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What do you mean when you say "vMotion will not receive the right amount of bandwidth".

When you define shares, you are telling vSphere which traffic get priority / majority of the network link during congestion. That doesn't mean that the services with less shares will fail to operate, they will just be limited in the amount of bandwidth that service has available. How often is your environment doing vMotion and coming under network contention for this to be an issue?

A good read - http://frankdenneman.nl/2013/01/17/a-primer-on-network-io-control/

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What do you mean when you say "vMotion will not receive the right amount of bandwidth".

When you define shares, you are telling vSphere which traffic get priority / majority of the network link during congestion. That doesn't mean that the services with less shares will fail to operate, they will just be limited in the amount of bandwidth that service has available. How often is your environment doing vMotion and coming under network contention for this to be an issue?

A good read - http://frankdenneman.nl/2013/01/17/a-primer-on-network-io-control/

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

Frank wrote "vMotion operations introduce temporary network traffic that tries to consume as much bandwidth as possible"

If assigend low share to vMotion to limit the comsumiion. During the contention vMotion shears get less bandwidth what will be the effect ? let's assume I have 1 GigE.  Will it migrate 1 or 2 instaed of the max 4 vms ?

0 Kudos