VMware Cloud Community
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving a VM from one ESXI host to another

Hi all,

I need to move one VM from a ESXI host to another how can this be done? 

Thanks in advance!

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have vCenter Server managing both hosts?

Do you have any kind of storage shared between the hosts?

Are the hosts on the same ESXi version or different?

Are the hosts using the same or different hardware?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We dont have vcenter however I think the old host does. I do not manage the old host/VMware software which I need the VM cloning from its managed by our external support company, I will need to put in a request for them to clone the VM however I just want to know if its possible. The Reason I want this doing is because we aare loaning the hard ware for the host from the external support company and want to create our own infrastructure

There is no link between the hosts, they are on the same network/subnet when it comes to the hardware of the hosts

I think the host from the external support company is on 7 we are on 6.7

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @scott28tt 

Due to me not having vcenter I was thing if I use quick migration tool within Veeam do you recommend this? or is there another way?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might have issues going from a newer release to an earlier one. Maybe just export/import ?

--Alan--

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @alantz 

How do I go about doing this? 

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos