VMware Cloud Community
cho5en1
Contributor
Contributor

Missing info after moving secondary Virtual hard drive to another server

I created snapshots.

I moved the secondary hard drive to another server

I'm told I'm missing information since the snapshots were created.

I have since re-attached the drive back to the server to which it was originally working

Removed all snapshots

I continue to see a drive in the datastore, within the folder structure of the Virtual Server for which the drive is attached to, called Server2008_1000002.vmdk

Could this be the location of my missing information?

Please help,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That could be the missing snapshot - but to decide that your info is not sufficient,
Without ALL vmware.logs, and all the small vmdk textfiles it is impossible to give you an answer that helps.
If you look at the datastore to download the small vmdks use WinSCP - not datastorebrowser.

0 Kudos
rk9211
Contributor
Contributor

May be ,its will be helpful if you share folder structure of the Virtual Server.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cho5en1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Continuum.  I have WinSCP.  I can transfer back and forth.  What would be my initial steps toward gathering all information needed to retrieve the data?  I would assume downloading and reading the text files?   Thank you for your help, As I understand it, the settings for the VM, stored in the VMX file points to the specific file to start the virtual hard drive to use, for the virtual drive.  In addition to that, the individual snapshot files store information to show which is the parent, and/or child snapshot in chronological order, and should be first organized to point to themselves accordingly, as well as having the VMX pointing to the 'latest' snapshot file as opposed to the original largest file.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In such a case the following files are needed.
- current vmx-file
- all vmdk-descriptor textfiles (the vmdks that do not have flat.vmdk or delta.vmdk or ctk.vmdk in the name)
- the vmsd-file if it is not blank
- ALL vmware.logs

Take care - starting the VM will overwrite the oldest log - if you start to often there will soon be no more vmware.log that still has info on the correct config.
Every attempt to run the basedisk without the snapshots will reduce the chance for a complete fix - so dont run the VM with just the basedisk as long as you still have hope to get back the missing data.

0 Kudos