VMware Cloud Community
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

Migration Fail - Unable to access file /vmfs/volumes/551e68f9-XXXXXXXX-1f80-0025b501103f/vmhost01.abc.com (vmhost01)/vmhost01.abc.com (vmhost01)-000002.vmdk

Hi,

When I migrate a VM on a ESXi, I got the error message: Unable to access file /vmfs/volumes/551e68f9-XXXXXXXX-1f80-0025b501103f/vmhost01.abc.com (vmhost01)/vmhost01.abc.com (vmhost01)-000002.vmdk.

But the VM can operate normal, power on / power off / running / services are normally. Why prompt me the error, when I migrate to the other ESXi host (Local Disk > Shutdown VM > Migrate)?

I know the error showed the VM is missing the 000002.vmdk. Yes, I checked the datastore and the 000002.vmdk of VM was really lost.

B4, I had completed the snapshot Consolidate on the VM (no any error). After that, I want to migrate the VM to the from ESXi01 to the other host (ESXi02).

How can I fix it?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you need to copy a Virtual Machine from one host to another, it can be a challenge sometimes, especially if you do not have shared storage. If you are looking for a quick and easy way to copy a VM from one host to another, try using the OVFtool.

OPTION 1. OVFtool to Copy VMs from one ESXi host to another

LINK: http://www.enterprisedaddy.com/2016/07/ovftool-to-copy-vms/

OPTION2. Even easier

Just shut down the VM, and delete it from the inventory "ONLY" of the host or cluster.  On the new host "THE HOST YOU WANT TO MOVE IT TO" search the datastore for the virtual machine file and register it on the new host

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

Actually, I don't know I have and missed the 000002.vmdk on the VM. I don't understand why I lost the 000002.vmdk and the VM still can be functional normally.

0 Kudos