VMware Cloud Community
Sigmoid
Contributor
Contributor

Lost my key for ESXi 4.1

I finally managed to install ESXi 4.1 to my server, but now I'm in trouble. I lost the key I got when I downloaded it, and since ESXi 5 came out, I can't get to it on the vmWare site. In "manage licenses", it says I don't have any.

Since my hardware is VERY problematic, and needs a Linux sky2 driver (for the Marvell Yukon II gigabit NIC) and a modified TargetFilter.py for the compactflash card I'm installing on, simply going with ESXi 5 seems like a setback measureable in weeks. Or months, I don't even know if I can build the driver for it, I didn't build it for 4.1 myself, I found a prebuilt oem.tgz on the web...

Do you have any hints where and how I could get to that code? VSphere Hypervisor 4.1 has been eradicated from memory, its remains burned and scattered... It's not even there in "other versions", unlike the full VSphere...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately, it looks like  VMware decided to no longer provide license keys for the free Hypervisor  4.1 version. If  you cannot find your license key  anymore (registration email) you are  probably out of luck.

see Re: Where to get ESXi 4.1 (post 5.0 release)

André

Sigmoid
Contributor
Contributor

To add insult to injury, there is no open source stack for vSphere 5, which makes compiling additional NIC drivers totally impossible.

Oh well, I did in fact find a solution.

It's called Xen Cloud Platform. Goodbye vmWare, you have done nothing but stand in my way and screw with me.

0 Kudos
celavey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the only thing i could say is that we should all be aware of every information VMware has or any other platform you might be using. this way, we wont get shocked to any problems we might encounter along the way. VMware is just being fair to all.https://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vmware-cool.gif

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case you are still interested, it seems it was only an issue with the web page update. The link to version 4.1 is back online (http://www.vmware.com/go/get-esxi-4)

André

0 Kudos