VMware Cloud Community
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

License key for ESXi 6.5

Hello,

I bought a used Dell PowerEdge R420 for home use and would like to run VMware.

I have d/l ESXi 6.5 but when I try to register it, it points me to register v 7. This old server can't run that and I have to use 6.5.

Will that key work for 6.5?

I have never use VMware before, just VirtualBox and Docker on CentOS.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for vSphere Hypervisor or ESXi, now that I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Even its not certified for vSphere 7 for 12Gen Dell Servers it runs pretty well on it 😉  Have you try it and what was your problem?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. No, I haven't tried,  Thought I read it had to do with the old hardware.

I just trash my home Windows PC trying to install Workstation to make a bootable ESXi USB. So, kinda stuck until I get it back up.

Guess Ill find out how good my backups are.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There is no reason to waste time and creating a bootable USB stick.  Download the vanilla or dell custom iso and install it from CD or better virtual CDROM (needs iDRAC Enterprise) and if needed you can specify the USB stick as target. But i highly suggest to create a 130GB small VD within the PERC.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

I thought about that but I bought it in pieces from BuildMyServer. Doubtful it has the right drives, mem and drives, etc. Bought it with 2 - XEON E7-8895 processors, 128GB RAM and 2 - 4TB drives not sure what brand the drives are but they SAS.

Think the Dell iso would work?

0 Kudos