VMware Cloud Community
erikrichy
Contributor
Contributor

License key for ESXi 5.0

Hi, I instaled ESXi 5.0 on my very old server for testing. How can I get the valid license key for such old ESXi. I can´t upgrade to newer version because of old hardware. Thank you for any help. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You cannot get a free licence key for anything older than 7.0 now, seeing as 6.x and 5.x are no longer supported by VMware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
zuricate
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, good day, I also need a license for Hypervisor ESXi 5.0 and there is no way to find it, did you solve the problem?

0 Kudos
gbennett1425
Contributor
Contributor

I am kind of in the same boat. I need to get a key for VMware ESXI 6.5.0 (ESXi-6.5.0-20180502001-standard) but there is no way to purchase one anymore. Can a person use a free version or buy a version of 7.0 and downgrade it?

0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The only way you could get a key for v5.x is if you had already purchased a perpetual license - but that would have to have been almost 10 years ago by now.  If your hardware is too old to be compatible with newer versions of ESXi, it might be time to retire that hardware.  If it's all you get - you might be able to try a Hyper-V install/test, but there's no guarantee that old HW will work with that either. 

0 Kudos