VMware Cloud Community
moriarty80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to create new roles on ESXi 4.0U1 Free Edition?

I have ESXi 4.0 Update 1 installed, and I would like to create some users which can interact with consoles of VMs, and that's it. I have seen that there are 3 predefined roles: "No access", "Read-only" and "Administrator", but they all apply to the whole tree of permissions.

How can I create a role like "Console", with only the necessary privileges?

BTW, I activated SSH already, if that helps.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First, you have to create all users you want, by clicking on your host using vSphere client and going to "Uses & Groups" tab.

Next, navigate to "Home/Administration/Role" Window. Here, you can create a role, named console.

Finally, go back to Inventory view, click on "Permissions" Tab and assign to all your user the "Console" role.

For this role "Console", you should give "Console Interaction" in Virtual machine/Interaction folder. They will only be able to use system console on all VM in your tree. If you want to restrict the machine they can act on, apply the Permission "Console" on the VM/Folder/Pool you want them to see.

Hope this helps.

Ludovic

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First, you have to create all users you want, by clicking on your host using vSphere client and going to "Uses & Groups" tab.

Next, navigate to "Home/Administration/Role" Window. Here, you can create a role, named console.

Finally, go back to Inventory view, click on "Permissions" Tab and assign to all your user the "Console" role.

For this role "Console", you should give "Console Interaction" in Virtual machine/Interaction folder. They will only be able to use system console on all VM in your tree. If you want to restrict the machine they can act on, apply the Permission "Console" on the VM/Folder/Pool you want them to see.

Hope this helps.

Ludovic

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
moriarty80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was a very n00b question, I realized later. Thanks for the answer!

0 Kudos