VMware Cloud Community
Kuraudo7921
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I install vSphere ESXI on PC and run Windows 10 as VM , can I use Workstation 16 on that Win10?

This thought came up to me cuz I am a heavy user of  LINKED CLONES  in VMWare Workstation 16, and while I need a Unraid NAS for

storage, I wouldn't like to purchase another device for it.

The specs of the self-built server is capable of this job in hardware I guess (32c64t zen1 epyc 7551p, 192G RAM 2666Mhz, 3 HBA/Raid Cards, PCIE spliting cards that devides a x16 into a 4 port LAN and 2 m.2 22110 drives, two GT710s and a GTX970).

While server boards have multiple PCIE slots and extraordinary expansion capability, I am planning to use ESXI 7.0 on it as a host, and install 2 VMs: Windows 10 Profrssional, and Unraid, each using a dedicated GPU.

Storage would be in unraid and Windows 10 would have VMWare Workstation 16 running on it.

👆That is the plan, however not knowing if it would be working.

And I'm confused that if I can still use VMs in these two guest systems. (Unraid has VM features and I would want to have a try 😄

Would anyone be so kind to tell me if this would work? or have anyone ever tried this before?

Get LINKED CLONES on ESXI PLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!
Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linked clones are possible with standalone ESXi since ESXi 4.
Read my instructions for ESXi 4 - basically nothing has changed ....
http://sanbarrow.com/linkedcloneswithesxi.html

Ulli

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linked clones are possible with standalone ESXi since ESXi 4.
Read my instructions for ESXi 4 - basically nothing has changed ....
http://sanbarrow.com/linkedcloneswithesxi.html

Ulli

0 Kudos
Kuraudo7921
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see... it's kinda trick the host system (EXSi OS) into thinking that these snapshots are separate VMs.

It didn't solve the Subject, but the method could work for me so I think that would be a true answer to me, thanks sincerely.

One more thing, what if I need to run apps that lies on a separate V-Disk, and has heavy reads (less writes) on thee?

Would the storage space quickly becomes a giant or would it smoothly build up? 

I know the ending would always being me needing to clean it all and to re-do all the "Creating Linked Clones" process again though.

Get LINKED CLONES on ESXI PLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> .. it's kinda trick the host system (EXSi OS) into thinking that these snapshots are separate VMs.

NO - a VM basically is a vmx-file.
Each VM can be started at the same time.

If you want you can add more sepate, independant vmdks to each VM.

Ulli

0 Kudos