VMware Cloud Community
PhishFarmer
Contributor
Contributor

IP address (virtual?) for 4 VMs -- virtual MACs?

Hello,

I have a basic Hypervisor setup with 4 VMs.  The VMs show up in the ESXi interface with the hardware NIC and its physical MAC, but they are not broadcasting (port 53) to receive a virtual LAN IP from my DHCP server.

How do I make the VMs ask for an IP address?

Do I need to create virtual MACs also (so the traffic will know which VM should receive the virtual IP and subsequent traffic)?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Port 53 is for DNS, DHCP use UDP port 67 and 68. Once you have configured DNS server properly, you have to configure client computer's (Linux, Windows) NIC to obtain IP address automatically and then clients will trigger DHCP request to available DHCP server available on network.

The option is available where you put IPs manually.

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM doesn't use hardware MAC unless you set it or using passthrough.

VMware mac would be 00:50:56 or 00:2c:

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And yes, just set the NIC to DHCP and have your DHCP configured correctly and it should work.

Make sure your vLAN info is correct in vSwitch.

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Please describe more detail about your solution

broadcasting (port 53)

TCP/UDP port 53 is used for DNS not DHCP. If you mean DHCP broadcasting operations (like discover and request in DORA), DHCP uses UDP 67 / 68.

If the VM needs to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server it just requires to connect to the port group of a vSwitch that has at least one physical uplink (if the DHCP server is a physical system) or connect to a port group that VM of that DHCP server is connected too.

If you want to configure VLAN and need to deploy IP Helper / DHCP Relay Agent to assign IP addresses for multiple subnets, you need to configure VLAN ID for each of the port groups that VMs are connected to tag their frame...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos