VMware Cloud Community
DeemoAlice_ISIF
Contributor
Contributor

I want it to manage snapshot automatically

Now I am using on VxRail, and version of vmware is 6.7.
I am looking for that whenever, I make schedule for take snapshot.
I just can see that only "create" snapshot. 
However, I want to make a limitation for create snapshot by scheduling.

I want to do set make schedule for daily create snapshot, and when it above 10 snapshot, automatically delete oldest snapshot and remain to number of 10 snapshots. 

I hope to get some advise for this work.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
FirozeB_za
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-03B90638-6C70-...

You can definitely schedule a snapshot the removal of a snapshot may require some scripting.

DeemoAlice_ISIF
Contributor
Contributor

so does it only require to use script for automatically delete snapshot? 
it can not be set on web GUI? 
I also refer that link, but I can not able to see that there is automatically remove snapshot by condition. 

Where can I get script for it? 

thank you for your interest and guide. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why do you want a daily snapshot, and to keep 10?

Sounds like a backup strategy, which snapshots are not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DeemoAlice_ISIF
Contributor
Contributor

I know that snapshot is not a backup strategy. But everyday do test and frequently need to rollback. 
that is the reason why I took snapshot everyday. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So it's a dev type of environment rather than production?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DeemoAlice_ISIF
Contributor
Contributor

yes. 

0 Kudos
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we use vRO scheduled tasks to remove old snapshots from vms.

May you have an vRA/vRO deployment so you could use it.

Otherwise PowerCLI would be an easy alternative.

DeemoAlice_ISIF
Contributor
Contributor

so you mean that using vRealize or make a script and running at PowerCLI? 
I will consider about it. 
thank you for your advise. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMware has a buildin feature that I call Autodestruct.
The Workstation engineers call it Autoprotect.
The ESXi-engineers will probably only mention it after torture ( at least I hope so )

That feature would do what you are looking for - but fortunately the syntax is poorly documented.

In other words - do yourself a favour - pretend you never even had this idea and call it a day.
For the record - none of my statements above is meant as a joke !!!

Ulli

0 Kudos
antoniojf
Contributor
Contributor

For use in VMWare itself, that option is not available for free license, so you have to get a paid licensing for manage automatic backups via snapshot. However, there is an free option via scriping, GhettoVCB (https://github.com/lamw/ghettoVCB), with that, it is possible to take snapshots, transfer to an external storage, and manage the amount of snapshots to remain saved. 

0 Kudos
antoniojf
Contributor
Contributor

For use in VMWare itself, that option is not available for free license, so you have to get a paid licensing for manage automatica backups via snapshot. There is an free option via scriping, GhettoVCB (https://github.com/lamw/ghettoVCB), with that, it is possible to take snapshots, transfer to an external storage, and manage the amount of snapshots to remain saved.

0 Kudos