VMware Cloud Community
gbambo
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting notices that my trial is about to expire -- I thought this was free

I installed the "free" VMware vSphere Hypervisor ESXi 5 on my server. When completed it warned me about my 60-day trial, which startled me, but I double checked and it VMware listed it as free. Now, 45 days in, I am getting email titled "Your VMware vSphere and vSphere Storage Appliance 60-Day Trial is Ending." I was deploying a free Egnyte virtual appliance. Did I misunderstand something. I have retraced my steps and it is listed under the Free Products heading on VMware's site. Now VMware is trying to sell me $10,000 of software. I am working in a production environment. If I have to abandon the last 45-days of progress it is going to cost me a lot of credibility at work. What are my options for deploying a virtual appliance an no cost. This feels like a bait-and-switch. Free trials are not ordinarily promoted as free software. If they were all software would be entitled to be labelled free.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi installs with a 60 day eval mode for Enterprise Plus.  To get to the free edition you'll need to apply the license key which you go when you first signed up to download it.  Go to the Configuration > Software > Licensed Features page, click Edit and then choose the Assign a new license key to this host option.

0 Kudos