VMware Cloud Community
NiteFlite76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I map guest NIC interfaces to specific physical NICS

I have a virtual machine with two virtual NICs, eth0 and eth1 (Linux).

My guest VM is connected to a virtual swtich, vswitch0 which is connected to the physical NIC, eth0. I also have another physical NIC eth1.

How can I map my virtual machine's

-> virtual eth0 map to physical eth0  and

-> virtual eth1 map to physical eth1.

So currently I have VMachine (vNICs eth0 and eth1)----->vswitch0------->physical eth0

I want it VMachine's vNIC eth0--->vswitch0---->physical eth0

and

VMachine's vNIC eth1--->vswitch0 (or any other)--->physical eth1

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the Configuration > Networking screen you can add another vSwitch.  The wizard will take you through the process and you can add vmnic1 to the vSwitch.  You'll click Add Networking then select the Virtual Machine type.  On the following screen you can create a new vSwitch.

You'll then edit your VM to set the network label for eth1 to be the virtual machine port group name that you just created.

Are the two physical NICs on seperate LANs?  You could have both in the same vSwitch and then segment your networks with VLANs.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I want it VMachine's vNIC eth0--->vswitch0---->physical eth0

and

VMachine's vNIC eth1--->vswitch0 (or any other)--->physical eth1

Create a second vSwitch and connect:

VMachine's vNIC eth0--->vswitch0---->physical eth0

VMachine's vNIC eth1--->vswitch1---->physical eth1

André

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the Configuration > Networking screen you can add another vSwitch.  The wizard will take you through the process and you can add vmnic1 to the vSwitch.  You'll click Add Networking then select the Virtual Machine type.  On the following screen you can create a new vSwitch.

You'll then edit your VM to set the network label for eth1 to be the virtual machine port group name that you just created.

Are the two physical NICs on seperate LANs?  You could have both in the same vSwitch and then segment your networks with VLANs.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
NiteFlite76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

If I understood you correctly....If I create another separate virtual switch and map it to a another physical NIC when I try to edit my VM to pick a network label it will only give me the network labels the VM is connected to.

So what I did was to create another port group on the same virtual switch (like your second suggestion) mapped it to the desired physical NIC and editied the VM setting to choose the new port group label (which was now presented to me as it was on the same virtual switch).

I also went to the NIC teaming tab for each port group and moved down the 'other' physical NIC adapter to the "Unused Adapter" section.

Thanks for your help! I think my problem is solved.

0 Kudos