VMware Cloud Community
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hot standby (Activate/Standby)

Dear Expert,

Which VMware product is for Hot Standby for double servers?

thx!

Liu Wei

12 Replies
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Your question is not clear. Let's know what you are exactly looking in the forum.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Twin sisters:  HPE Dl360 Gen9 servers. installed same VMs.

plan to make one Activate, and other one standby. Standby serer will take over by Failover manager.

I wonder which software could take a role to monitor working status(heart pulse detector) and give order to standby server to take work?

Brgds

Liu Wei

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to create 'High Availability' cluster and add both physical servers under that. You need VMware vCenter server for that.

Product Walkthroughg - HA & DRS

vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

If you using VMware infrastructure with vcenter, you can gohead with VMware Fault Tolerance. Refer the below link for FT Design & Configuration.

VMware vSphere 4 - ESX and vCenter Server

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjflNiMpf...

FAQ: VMware Fault Tolerance (1013428) | VMware KB

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
Kamuthiking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Use same processes family on both server  and  you will need vcenter for HA 

lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Two HPE DL360 gent with hdd disks.

I use vCenter server with operation management enterprise plus. One vc instance license and 6 cpu

host licenses.

using VMware builds infrastructure. HPE

virtual storage software builds one cluster

recently, no.1 Hpe DL360 defective(raid controller failure).

no.2 physical server is normal.

But all VMs hosted in no2 physical server also

breakdow.

One  physical server raid controller is defective, then

all VMs will stop working. Is it normal or

some setup for HA I lost?

thx!

Liu Wei

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You mean 1st host crashed due to RAID controller and VMs on 2nd host also got powered off ?

0 Kudos
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Then this is more than RAID controller effect as your VM resides on shared storage where one host crashed, HA align other host to get control over VMs. Have you checked hardware and HA logs on 2nd host ? Check if something went wrong from storage side.

lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tks for clarification for that.

due to this network is onboard vessel, which internet

link is  over wireless. remote  checking is difficult.(connection was often broken due to too slow internet speed)

however, remote checking result few days ago as below:

log-in no.1 esxi is ok. Esxi installed on SD. site reported Physical  server health  led flash slow red.

At that time, VMs hosted on No.1 show power-on Status. Actually they stop working.If click VM console icon, system gives error: does not connect to pipe.......

try to reboot no.1 physical server. Led light normal

but VMS show inaccessibly

No.2 physical server normal. But it hosted VMs also

stop working.

i used HPE SV VSA to build one cluster.

step by step as per HPE instruction. I am really hard to understand what does HPE software managed storage do?

brgds.

liu Wei

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. For 1st host as you said it had LED flashing red, this indicate some hardware issue. For this you can check Hardware logs of this server with utilities provided by hardware vendor such as IML logs for HP servers.

2. doesn't connect to pipe error is related to VMware components and configuration you have configured. You need to check for detailed error.

3. What is is the error when you say stopped working.

0 Kudos
lwsamcn01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no.1 host. after reboot. all VMs inaccessible.

all VMs there is inactivate. 

no.2 host. it said :"does not connect to pipe@......".

due to under warranty, we will request HPE to check hardware(on June, it was defective on raid controller). this is second time hardware problem.

I think the problem is over VMware.It might

be due to HPE managed storage.I wonder if one datastore defective it will cause volume LUNA breakdown? Onboard HPE Engineer explain as one datastore defective will cause whole volume stop wirking. If as this matter,

we could not accept.Better delete HPE storage management.

brgds

Liu Wei

0 Kudos