VMware Cloud Community
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help with Vlan

Hi Guys,

we are using a ESXI 6.0 with latest patch. we are using a open source firewall " FreeBSD" .

we want to create two VLANS on the LAN NIC in order to provide two separated networks.

Vlan 10 and 20.

we are using HP Procurve 1810 Pro 24 ports.

I've trunkt port 20 for the vlan 20 and port 10 for vlan 10 on the physical switch.

on the virtual switch I create a VMkernel for wach Vlan.

on the FreeBSD firewall I've created the VLANS and enabled the DHCP on each VLAN.

is this the correct way to connect AP on each VLAN port ? to provide DHCP IP to the connected client on each VLAN ?

thank you

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone ?

0 Kudos
pterlisten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

you have to configure port 20 as access port in VLAN 20, port 10 as access port in VLAN 10. Then you need to connect one NIC to port 20 and the other NIC to port 10. You will need two vSwitches: One with the NIC at port 10, and one vSwitch with the NIC at port 20. On each vSwitch you have to create a port group. With this setup, you don't have to add a VLAN ID to the port groups. No connect your FreeBSD VM to each port group.

0 Kudos
krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AFAIK below should work.

Since the ports are created as Trunk ports allowing two VLANs 10 and 20, Create two separate Virtual Machine port groups specifying VLANs 10 and 20 While creation respectively. This should have the communication up and running from the VMs to the next level switch.

Reg, the FreeBSD firewall which was mentioned, not really sure what is scope of the functionality. If its only for DHCP, you can connect that FreeBSD VM with two different scope ranges in DHCP to offer IP's. But i recommend to go static rather than DHCP.

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer Patrick,

do you mean I need to configure port as access port 20 in VLAN 20 on the physical switch ?

can you explain to me using just VLAN20 not VLAN10 otherwise won't get the idea .

the Host has 3 1GB NICS and teamed, means I have to separate them from the team ? and each physical 1GB nic have to assigned for the VLAN ?

thank you sir

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bala thank you for your answer.

I've deleted the trunk on the physical switch and wanna start over .

when you mean static not DHCP you are still talking about the VLAN right ?

the idea behind is when users connect to the SSID10 will received a VLAN 10 DHCP IP and when SSID20 will received VLAN 20 DHCP IP.

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any one please i am stuck here !

0 Kudos
cjscol
Expert
Expert

Your FreeBSD firewall is running as a VM on the ESXi host?

Which ports on the ProCurve are the 3 NICs from the ESXi host connected to?

Can you post the running config from the ProCurve, "show run"?

Do you have any requirements for any other VLANs on your ESXi host?

Do you just have the single ESXi host or multiple ESXi hosts that you want to vMotion between?

Which VLAN is the vmkernel management interface of the ESXI host on?

Calvin Scoltock VCP 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5 & 6 VCAP5-DCD VCAP5-DCA http://pelicanohintsandtips.wordpress.com/blog LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cscoltock
0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your answer

I have one ESXI host with 3 NICS, the nics are connected to the switch on port 2/3/4

the pfsense is VM on the esxi .

I don't have any other VLANS this the only one I need

the management of the esxi is on default VLAN 0

thank you

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone ?

0 Kudos