VMware Cloud Community
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA question

I am have two datacenters and I want to make a mechanism of failover on my few VMs.

So if something happen into my VM which are hosted in Datacenter 1 automatically starts at Datacenter 2.

Is there any way?

I can create a shared storage  but I don’t want to use FT.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ray, here is couple nice little articles about vMSC from Duncan Epping.  They are a bit old, but for the most part, the design considerations still apply.  vSphere 5.0 HA and metro / stretched cluster solutions - Yellow Bricks and  vSphere Metro Storage Cluster, what is supported and what not?  An issue you may not have thought about is whether the Layer-3 network is available at both locations.  If your VMs' IP addresses aren't available at the secondary location, even if the VM could be brought up, it could not communicate out.  Lastly, when you design a Metro Cluster, all hosts appear in the same HA cluster.  This allows HA to function as you want.

Hope this helps.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vTagion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VirtualRay.

HA is meant to work within a specific cluster. As you are wanting a VM to restart in another DC that is a bit more advanced than what HA was meant for. Can you give a little more detail as to the background of this and why you want it to start in Datacenter2? I'm assuming its a virtual DC?

If you felt my comment was helpful or solved your problem, please return the favor of marking my answer as solved. Thanks! | http://www.vTagion.com
0 Kudos
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you referring to a metro cluster with two physical datacenters, or two DC objects that share storage at the same physical datacenter? 

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks vTagion,

I have twin datacenters which are connected with fiber channel connection. so i am thinking may be there is a way which  i can use for this purpose.

i think i can replicated storage from one to second datacenter.

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

I have 2 separate Datacenters ...any suggestions..

0 Kudos
heldstma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ray, here is couple nice little articles about vMSC from Duncan Epping.  They are a bit old, but for the most part, the design considerations still apply.  vSphere 5.0 HA and metro / stretched cluster solutions - Yellow Bricks and  vSphere Metro Storage Cluster, what is supported and what not?  An issue you may not have thought about is whether the Layer-3 network is available at both locations.  If your VMs' IP addresses aren't available at the secondary location, even if the VM could be brought up, it could not communicate out.  Lastly, when you design a Metro Cluster, all hosts appear in the same HA cluster.  This allows HA to function as you want.

Hope this helps.

Matt

0 Kudos