VMware Cloud Community
etksmc
Contributor
Contributor

Exclusive usage of LLC

Hello,

Is there any option to request an exclusive usage of a certain host for only one VM, so that other VMs are not allowed

to be allocated on it?

I need that to have an exclusive usage of all LLC (last level cache) from one VM.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Use an affinity rule on the cluster level for the VM to be bound to a certain ESXi host and an anti-affinity rules to restrict other VMs running on the same host as the VM. Note that this will severly impact cluster balancing via DRS.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
etksmc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Can this be set via OVF?

/DEAN

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately it can't, this is done by modifying the ESXi Cluster settings. If you'd like to deploy OVF, the best thing to do would be to deploy it on a standalone host to ensure this functionality.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
etksmc
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that was my understanding as well. The problem with my application deployment is that a certain component (a dedicated VM) needs to have an

exclusive usage of LLC. It basically means that it need to use a complete CPU (all cores/threads) in a host exclusively. This will not be a problem

if my application will be the only one in the DC (data centar). Then I can isolate it from other VMs formed for my application need. This is obviously not the case in

Data Centars where many applications can be deployed independently from each others.

This can be done via OVF asking for all cores but it is not a generic solution as you need to know in advance the HW

architecture of DC where you deployed (how many cores a CPU has, etc...).

I am looking for an option how to isolate a dedicated VM from all others, whether they are deployed by my application or someone else.

It seems the OVF and VMware missed that 🙂

0 Kudos