VMware Cloud Community
rwc0922
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi - vSphere Hypervisor - Using Directory Services

I recently downloaded and installed ESXi - vSphere Hypervisor v4.1 and added the host server to the domain. When I try logging into the host using vSphere Client with "indows session credentials". Iget the following error: "Error Connecting, You do not have permissions to log on to this server".

I have missed something in set up. I would like to authenicate using Windows Active Directory.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rwc0922
Contributor
Contributor

In further reading, it appears I would need to use a vCenter Server in order to use directory services. "Is this Correct"?

I was just hoping to use ESXi - vSphere Hypervisor and vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With ESXi 4.1 you can enable AD Integration with any license version (including free). At the login prompt, just try entering domain\user instead of checking the "Use Windows session credentials". Have you assigned this AD user (or group) a role on the host?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
rwc0922
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding. I did try the login you suggested. I also enabled the "Network login Server" access then rebooted the host.

How do I assign an AD group on the host?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Login with the root account, select the host and then the permission tab. Right-click on an empty space and select Add Permission. Click Add and on the Select Users and Groups window change the domain from (server) to your AD domain. I'm assuming you've being able to join ESXi to the domain without issues. Select an AD user or group and then give them the administrator role. After that they should be able to login.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
rwc0922
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave. Works good now.

0 Kudos