VMware Cloud Community
Schroeder2020
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi host not responding

I have 3 Datacenter, BJSSP, STTSQ and CDIFS, every Datacenter have 1 cluster. BJSSP--BJVMPRD, STTSQ---SHVMPRD, CDIFS----CDVMPRD. every cluster have 4 to 5 ESXi hosts.

The vCenter server VM setup in the host of BJVMPRD, and the hosts in the BJVMPRD running perfect. 

The Version of hosts, I connected to host via ssh. Every host ping successfully and can be controlled via VMware vSphere Client.
SHVMPRD host1(not responding)
#vmware -v
VMWare ESXi 5.1.0 build-799733

SHVMPRD host2(connected)
VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547 (connect successful)

SHVMPRD host3(not responding)
VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-799733

SHVMPRD host4(not responding)
VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547

SHVMPRD host5(not responding)
VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-799733

vCenter server Version 5.5.0 build 3142196

I have already done.
1\check the every service port in internet ,especial tcp/udp 902,443. There is no limited.
2\SSH to host and VMware vSphere client can login and configure every host.
3\NTP server running on every hosts good.
4\ restarted SHVMPRD host1's vpxd and hostd, but it doesn't work, still not responding.

SHVMPRD host4's log file see the attachments.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @Schroeder2020,

• What do you see in the vCenter Server vpxd.log?
  • Also did this happen after any change or are this brand new ESXi?

Something additional but no minor is that the versions you are running are pretty old and they are EOL so I recommend you to update inmediately, if your hardware supports it, after you fix the issue.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
In the SHVMPRD cluster the only host that connects is the host2 that has VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547 this is true?

You could check the SSL certificate on the only ESXi host that connects and then on the other ESXi hosts that do not connect. Please capture and paste your results, attached link.

Determining the expiry period of default SSL certificates of vCenter Server and ESX/ESXi (2015600)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2015600

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Schroeder2020
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, √SHVMPRD host2(10.90.1.42) VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547 (connect successful)

And , another host,SHVMPRD host4(10.90.1.44) VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547, by the way.

I think the SSL certificate are okay, pls see the attachments.

and my vCenter IP address is https://10.80.1.51/ , they are at different network.

0 Kudos
Schroeder2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hi , I don't know what my colleagues did, I am the newbie in my office.😅

I have the log file.vCenter Server log[vpxd-1097] and vCenter Server log[vpxd.log] pls see the attachment.

whey there have 1097 at the end of the file? I don't know.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Summarizing in the cluster the ESXi hosts version 5.5 has no problem to connect, only the ESXi hosts version 5.1 does not connect. that's right? Then you can try to upgrade one of the ESXi hosts from version 5.1 to version 5.5 this should not be difficult.

Since the vCenter server is on another network segment (10.80.1.51) you should double check that you have a connection (ping) from the vcenter server to each of the ESXi hosts that do not connect.

I will check the logs you sent, but that will take more time.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Schroeder2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hi host2(VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547) no problem, host4(VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-3248547) not responding.

Others hosts 1,3,5 (VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-799733)

I have already check the network, vCenter ping every hosts okay, and I used telnet ip port command test every port on the vCenter and every host, there are no limited.

Thank you for you help. thank you very much.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

I don't know if you have already tried the following, but it would be good to try, assuming that the physical connection is correct between the vCenter server and the ESXi hosts

Restart the vcenter server completely, check if the ESXi hosts and try to reconnect them.

enter one of the ESXi host that does not connect turn off the VMs, put the ESXi into maintenance mode and then restart the ESXi.
When the ESXi host is up again, take it out of maintenance mode and try to reconnect it from the vcenter server.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
Schroeder2020
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, thank you. I will follow your steps.

0 Kudos