VMware Cloud Community
benknown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi free license - need v6.5 but only gives out v7???

I'm just running a homelab using ESXi and note that I can get a free license beyond the 60 day trial. I've an old dell T310 so can only run v6.5. When I go here I can get a license but it defaults to v7 and I can see no option for v6.5. And the license key doesn't work in my install. How do I get the free license for v6.5? Thanks, any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Please see the following link which explains how to get a free ESXi license key.

Free ESXi 6.5 – How to Download and get License Keys | Virten.net

It is also worth reading the limitations at the top of the page, to ensure the free key will be suitable for you.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Please see the following link which explains how to get a free ESXi license key.

Free ESXi 6.5 – How to Download and get License Keys | Virten.net

It is also worth reading the limitations at the top of the page, to ensure the free key will be suitable for you.

benknown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That worked perfectly. But why do they hide these links?

0 Kudos
mauriziotalpo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Correct, because that version isn't supported any more.

There are pages for v7 and v8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mauriziotalpo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I know.
But I have an old Dell server that does not support versions higher than 6.5.
I replaced the hard disk and now I have no way to get the activation code.

0 Kudos
arczavin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same problem.. How I can get 6.5.0U3 license for older Dell server?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Only possible with full paid-for licenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ezollman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can still download vendor specific ISO files for ESXI 6.5.. They have DELL specific ISO files..

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vspher...

0 Kudos
zolor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm also looking for a suitable version for PE2950. Do these OEM versions ask for license?

0 Kudos