VMware Cloud Community
devron55
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and SBS 2008

I have a small company that utilizes 2 servers.  One is SBS 2008 and the second is our LoB with SQL and business apps.  The second server is quickly coming to the end of it's life and I was looking at replacing.  I have been using VMware Workstation for the last 8 months (happily) and wondered if ESXi Hypervisor would work for our servers.  The company has less than 10 employees and the sbs has our email and website and is the dc.

I guess I am wondering if it is possible to setup in this fashion.  There are some great manuals and discussions out there on setting up ESXi but most of the installs already have the host as a member of a domain.  For this install, I think I am attempting to put the domain dc on the host box so I am not sure what initial values to put in the host box for ip addresses and domain name.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dev

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

If you're thinking of getting the new hardware, replacing the old physical server, to run ESXi 4.x, then you can do it. I would actually plan on building the host while the old box is still online, make a new domain controller VM on the host, then retire the old domain controller once it's online. I would also suggest at least building up the VM's as single duty entities. Such as have the email server as one VM, SQL run on another, etc. If you're going to use just local storage on the host, then get at least 10k RPM SAS drives. 15k RPM drives will be better, with a solid RAID configuration (and controller). I would also opt to get enough Gb NIC's inside the host from the start. For a small deployment, using local SAS drives, you could probably get away with 4-6 ports. You can always add more later as you need. But, this way you'll be able to build in some redundancy, and account for bandwidth needs (expected now, with room to flex a bit).

I have a home test lab setup with a single ESXi host server (dual E5405 Xeon's, 16GB RAM, two 146GB 15k RPM SAS drives where ESXi resides) with a NAS/SAN (QNAP 5 drive bay unit, populated with 1TB drives), HP ProCurve 2510G-24 switch. I'm running 7 VM's currently (was 8, but I'm not running the vMA right now, I'll spin that back up later). Included in that list of seven VM's is a vCenter Server, two SQL 2005 VM's (one 32 bit the other 64 bit), an Exchange 2010 server, my AD DC box (does DNS and DHCP too), a linux FTP server and a linux web server. I'm running at 10-11GB of RAM utilized these days. I am planning on adding more soon, so that I'll be able to spin up more VM's on the host. Memory is one area where you'll quickly run low. Storage is another. Probably faster than you think. I'm good in the storage space right now, but I need more RAM so that I can run more VM's, such as a vDR, vMA (again) and whatever else strikes my fancy.

You could probably get a tower server to start with. Install ESXi onto a flash drive, and use SAS drives for the VM's. Just be aware of the strength's/weaknesses of the different RAID levels before you settle on one. RAID 5 looks nice at first glance, but you'll need enough spindles to offset the performance hit. Just make sure you don't max out the box from the start. Well, unless you go to way over the top levels...

devron55
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, thanks for the quick response.  You have given me some very helpful information.  I don't see my company needing as much power as you but I get the concept.

Install ESXi on a flash drive, how about a stick??  Never occurred to me.  So you can install on a stick in a USB port and then utilize hard drives for everything else??  I like that idea.  What size of stick does one need??  I have a couple small ones (1gb and a 2gb) that I am not using.  Would one of these work??

Dev

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi install requires 1GB or larger. Larger is not better since it will only use 1GB. ESXi loads directly into RAM and there is almost no writing to disk other than an hourly configuration backup. If installed to USB you should set up a scratch location on a datastore. That can be configured from the vSphere client configuration tab.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
devron55
Contributor
Contributor

So you are saying that the 1gb may or may not work and that the 2gb will but is more than needed??

Sorry for the delay in responding.

0 Kudos