VMware Cloud Community
DanMc85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 7.0.3 Upgrade Errors?

I am attempting to upgrade a Dell R740xd cluster from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3.

I have attempted multiple ways... Lifecycle Manager Baseline Remediation, manual SSH "software profile update", and a regular Dell custom ISO. All have failed with an error one way or another.

When I use putty to do an SSH update I see:

[ValueError]
Expected 1 component, found 2

Lifecycle Remediation gives

Cannot execute upgrade script on host.

The ISO method, gives this known issue error (from release notes):

If a live VIB install, upgrade, or remove operation immediately precedes an interactive or scripted upgrade to ESXi 7.0 Update 3 by using the installer ISO, the upgrade fails

When a VIB install, upgrade, or remove operation immediately precedes an interactive or scripted upgrade to ESXi 7.0 Update 3 by using the installer ISO, the ConfigStore might not keep some configurations of the upgrade. As a result, ESXi hosts become inaccessible after the upgrade operation, although the upgrade seems successful. To prevent this issue, the ESXi 7.0 Update 3 installer adds a temporary check to block such scenarios. In the ESXi installer console, you see the following error message: Live VIB installation, upgrade or removal may cause subsequent ESXi upgrade to fail when using the ISO installer.

Anyone have any ideas or tips that I may not have thought of to get this update installed.   - vCenter updated to 7.0.3 perfectly, vSphere not so much.

- DanMc85
VCP-DCV 2021
22 Replies
srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Like most people, I'm using Baseline Patch updates as Image Updates are bit like "taking an Abrams Tank to shoot at a fly" if you know what I mean. Images are useful with major releases but it for small incremental updates they are total overkill.

VMware made quite a mess this time (U3 thin-disk PSOD is even worse) and I think I speak for many that we would appreciate it when we can simply patch using baselines again without the wheels coming off and the cluster blowing up in our faces (bad analogy, I know).

chcaldwell42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using baselines as well.

0 Kudos
dgrove12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having a similar issue but with upgrading vCenter to u3a.  This patch completely hoses HA, and LCM cluster scans result in unknown results.  I do not have a duplicate intel driver on my hosts... just i40en.  I can't disable/enable HA at the cluster level... fails.  I guess I'll try removing that driver as it's not in use by our DL380s.

0 Kudos