VMware Cloud Community
jdellipa
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 Advanced System Setting

Hello,

I have a question regarding the PowerUseCStates feature in Advanced system settings, when choosing this we have an option of 0 or 1 and below it states "In Custom policy, use ACPI C-states when processor is idle"

What does the value 0 do and what does the value 1 do for this feature?

What does "In Custom policy, use ACPI C-states when processor is idle" refer exactly, what is custom policy?

Thank you

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @jdellipa ,

C state is a CPU power management feature provided by hardware vendors and ESXi hosts provides you options to utilize them. For more information, please refer 17-18 here --> Performance best practices for 6.7 

Values 0 & 1 are to disable and enable this feature respectively.

Check if the hardware provides option for custom power policy options . Refer page 23 & 24 for more information

Hope that helps.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

Tags (1)
jdellipa
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Ashil i appreciate the reply, yes i will be sure to add a solved to your comment, it is greatly appreciated and helpful

One other Question please, if using power management of High Performance does this mean any settings such at Cstate, Perf.Bias, Pstates etc are ignored or are their default values still used?

If ignored, does using "Custom" make those Cstate, Perf.Bias etc used?

Thank you

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@jdellipa ,

Yes, select high performance will utilize all available resources and will ignore and power saving options. Balanced will let you utilize a bit of both (Power saving & performance)  while custom also provides identical features, however with an option to customize some.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos