VMware Cloud Community
swilk
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 AD-Share Integration - Errors in Active Directory Operations

Hi all,

a week ago we upgraded from ESXi 4.0 to 4.1, hoping to use the Active Directory Authentication for users. Now we get a mysterious error when trying to join a domain with a user:

"Errors in active directory operations".

What we know so far is, that we can reach the AD Server running (Win2k3) from the ESXi host and that Active Directory is performing well with other servers.

The Export of the ESXi Logs gave no clue what happens.

Does anybody know where to find more detailed information on this error? Or has a solution?

Greets Stefan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Quester
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same error. My problem was that I was using the NETBIOS name of the domain rather than the DNS name. I also entered my user account without the domain\ on the successful attempt.

0 Kudos
gdelgado
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue as well it did work for me for a while but now somehow it seems the mapping to the domain is gone. I can't login with any of my AD account I can only login using the root account. Also under "Authentication Services" its back to Local Authentication when I try to join it to the domain I get "Errors in Active Directory Operations" when I try to remove an AD group from the Permissions tab I get the following error "Call "AuthorizationManager.RemoveEntityPermission" for object "ha-authmgr" on ESXi "mmesx01" failed." Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks..

0 Kudos
takesio
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem.

After I post the discussion,

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/307774

I am coming to here.

Anyway, now I become to assume that this problem might be happen if the Windows netowork has the domain controller only on its ESXi host?

Because my environment and your environment have domain controller only in the VM host.

Unfortunately, I don't have physical resoruce to evaluate the physical sever to isntall DC...

0 Kudos
Shamsher0
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, please your username as "username@yrdomain.com" while join domain on esxi server. Good Luck Smiley Happy

0 Kudos